The Immediate Life Support course is a multidisciplinary 1-day course which provides the essential knowledge and skills that are important in the initial phase of treating a critically ill patient who needs resuscitation. Therefore, it is ideally suited for the training of healthcare providers at all stages and levels.
It provides training in more diagnostic skills than the BLS course and expands core knowledge and teaches airway management skills, ECG recognition and rapid, safe defibrillation, using an AED or a manual defibrillator. The concept follows closely that of the ALS course, but focuses only on the core knowledge and skills appropriate for most healthcare providers. The course aims to be the first-line resuscitation course for healthcare professionals.
- Target audience: All healthcare professionals with comprehension of BLS
- Theory: Online course on CoSy
- Hands-on part: 1 day (minimum 6h50 excluding breaks)
- Validity certificate: 3 years (but NRCs are free to set validity from 1 to 5 years)
- Basic Life Support
- High-quality chest compression & defibrillation
- Managing the airway & obtaining intraosseous access
- The ALS algorithm incl. non-technical skills (lecture)
- Treatment of shockable rhythms
- Treatment of non-shockable rhythms
- Decision-making during resuscitation